This is one of our many vegetarian recipes.
Kosrae Village Black Bean Chili
1-> Cover 2 cups black beans in drinking water, soak over night
2-> Drain and rinse beans with drinking water
3-> Add enough water to cover by 2 inches, bring to boil
4-> Cover and simmer 1 hour, add water if necessary
5-> In another pan cook onions and garlic until clear in olive oil.
- -> 2 onions, chopped
- -> 4 cloves garlic, chopped
6-> Add the following to the onions and garlic. Cook for a few minutes.
- -> 3 tablespoons chili powder
- -> 1 teaspoon cumin
- -> 3 teaspoons oregano
- -> 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- -> Drain the beans, save the water
- -> Put 2 cups of bean water back in the pot with the beans
- -> Add the seasonings and simmer
- -> Add more bean water if necessary
Beans should be soft, not crunchy when done.
Serve with some salsa and shredded cheddar cheese.