This Page use to Have the Latest News from Kosrae Village
This page is included for archival purposes, for current news and events please go to Kosrae Today.
Kosrae Village News
What's New? Tons of Stuff!
Coral Monitoring Project 2009
We're gearing up now for the September 26 - October 10, 2009 coral monitoring survey.
Here is some general information about our coral monitoring and other Reef Protection projects.
- Most of the project work is coral monitoring, but other activities such
as maintaining or expanding the mooring buoy system also take place as needed.
- Kosrae Village and our US partner OceanEarth, a non profit 501(c)3
organization, have an annual two-week project set for September - October.
- Additional surveys are needed, so if groups of 4 or more are interested
in this work we can schedule projects to fit their time frames as long as:
- The project dates are set up in advance with OceanEarth
to qualify for tax deductibility.
- We confirm that either Katrina or Dr Smith will be available
for the training and to lead the project.
- Two weeks is an ideal length of time to complete a survey project, however
it is possible to scale it back to seven to ten days. Anything shorter really
isn't feasible. A typical schedule follows:
- Team arrives on a Saturday (if traveling via Honolulu)
- Land based ID and survey technique training on Sunday
- Checkout dives, in-water ID and technique training on Monday
- Survey dives begin on Tuesday and continue for the duration
or the project. Breaks are taken on Sunday and other days as necessary.
- We don't expect that everyone will be comfortable with all the survey
requirements and techniques by Tuesday, so the volunteers will work with
experienced partners until they are ready to work on their own.
- At the end of the project the participants will receive a certificate
verifying their participation should it be required by the IRS.
Photos and data collected by previous teams can be found on the OceanEarth site at http://www.oceanearth.org.
For more information please email
me or check this page.
Kosrae Village is on the WiFi Grid!
The restaurant, office and most of the cottages are receiving the FSMTC WiFi signal, so you can connect from your front porch.
Web site News
Three new additions to this web site:
Current Kosraean time is displayed by the clock on the contact us page.
A currency converter has been added to the rates page.
A new collection of photos has been added to Katrina's gallery.
Kosrae Island News
Congratulations to Governor Weilbacher and Lt. Governor Tosie!
Kosrae Festival of the Arts
September 7 - 13, 2008 will be a non stop celebration of Kosraean culture as
well as the WWII liberation. You will find MANY photos of the 2004 festival
on the scrapbook page.
This is an annual event, so if you are headed to Kosrae in September try
to arrange to be here during the Festival week.
What Our Guests Say
"Elixir for my soul."
"Amazing disconnect from urban daily live."
"Kosrae Village is a wonderful, magical place run by wonderful people."
"This place is amazing, and you can hear the surf from anywhere in the resort."
"The food is top notch"
"Was especially pleased to find a history of Kosrae in my cottage and the fridge stocked with fresh fruit. What a nice surprise!"
"Kosrae has one of the best reefs that I have seen in my 42 years of diving."